Jeff’s Naturals is a firm believer in healthy eating and cooking choices for all ages. When we heard about the fantastic work being done by Sprouts Cooking Club, we knew we had to help out any way we could.
This summer, Jeff’s Naturals became one of the sponsors of this program by introducing the magic of cooking with capers to kids! These flavorful nuggets of deliciousness often go unnoticed, yet they add so much to just about any dish whether it’s fish or poultry, appetizers, main courses, and more.
Sprouts Cooking Club was launched in 2006 in an effort to teach children of all backgrounds and socio-economics levels the importance of healthy eating. The program pairs children with established chefs in their restaurants where they learn how to cook with real and nutritious ingredients they may not have known otherwise.
We source our capers from Turkey where they are picked by hand as soon as they reach the desired size, then dried in the hot Mediterranean sun before they are pickled in a brine of vinegar. Not only does their piquant, slightly tangy flavor makes them an excellent addition to Mediterranean dishes like authentic scaloppini and picatta recipes, they are naturally low in carbs, contain no fat and are versatile enough to go with just about any meal any time of the day- breakfast, lunch or dinner.
If those of you reading are curious of some of our tips and tricks for cooking with capers, look no further because here are some of our favs:
- In a food processor, mix Jeff’s Naturals Sun-ripened Dried Tomatoes with pitted Kalamata Olives, Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers, garlic, anchovy filets, lemon juice and olive oil for a terrific tapenade. Spread it on fish or chicken before baking or serve it as a spread with crackers or crusty bread.
- Combine Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers in a hot pan with butter, lemon juice, and white wine for a classic Chicken Picatta.
- Mix Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers into mayonnaise along with lemon juice and chopped chives for a sophisticated twist on a classic tartar sauce.
- Add Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers to sautéed onions and garlic. Dice tomatoes, Kalamata Olives, and anchovy filets. Mix together with basil and crushed red pepper flakes for an alluring Puttanesca pasta sauce.
- Dress up your favorite pasta or potato salad recipe with a few spoonfuls of Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers.
- Top a pizza with thinly sliced fresh tomatoes, minced garlic, fresh oregano and a sprinkling of Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers.
- Add a couple spoonfuls of Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers to a Salade Niçoise with seared tuna, anchovies, hard-boiled egg, sliced potatoes, green beans, and olives in a Dijon vinaigrette.
- For a tangy vegetarian version of a classic Caesar salad, use Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers in place of the traditional anchovies.